Thanks to good weather, and even more to the growing ranks of bike-friendly residents, we had an awesome turnout for Bike to Work Day 2013! Thanks to every single one of you who participated, and thanks to Mayor Segarra, Commissioners Esty, Smith and Redeker, and Senator Beth Bye for leading by example. And thanks to Fox CT and Colin McEnroe for helping us get the good word out! Special thanks to Sandy Fry and the whole Bike to Work Committee for all your planning and generous dedication.
After adjusting for a few duplicate entries, we had 687 people pledge to bike to work on May 17, and our estimates are that twice as many people probably participated. Bike to Work Day celebrations were held at 25 locations across the state -- up from 14 last year. Some 150 - 200 people attended the Hartford Old State House event alone!
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF PARTICIPANTS!
Total Pledges: 687 Individuals at 176 different employers
Total Miles Ridden One Way, by all pledgers: 4,949. That's a whole lot of savings on emissions and gas!
Longest Commute Award: Chris Adams, 65 miles one way from Old Saybrook to Hartford!
Top 20 Organizations - Ranked By Participation
1. Dept. of Children & Families: 215 participants, 800 miles
2. Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection: 37 participants, 367 miles
3. Pratt & Whitney: 27 participants, 261 miles
4. Dept. of Transportation: 26 participants, 229 miles
5. Dept. of Public Health: 20 participants, 181 miles
6. Travelers: 19 participants, 223 miles
7 (tie). Hartford Steam Boiler: 14 participants, 116 miles
7 (tie). Cycling Sports Group/Cannondale Bicycles: 14 participants, 125 miles
8. Aetna: 13 participants, 128 miles
9. Trinity College: 11 participants, 41 miles
10. United Technologies Aerospace Systems: 10 participants, 136 miles
11. Dept. of Developmental Services: 8 participants, 82 miles
12. Yale University: 8 participants, 30 miles
13 (tie). Prudential: 6 participants, 60 miles
13 (tie). UConn Health Center: 6 participants, 31 miles
13 (tie). Cigna: 6 participants, 37 miles
13 (tie). UnitedHealth Group: 6 participants, 44 miles
13 (tie). Dept. of Motor Vehicles: 6 participants, 26 miles
14. ESPN: 5 participants, 87 miles
Send us your bike walk related news and time permitting, we'll do our best to post it.